My Photo
Name:
Location: Clarksville, TN, United States

At this moment, I am a 60 year old lady living with a 61 year old husband of 41 years. I have a loving son, Scott, who is mentally challenged (aka mentally retarded), and a beautiful daughter, Dawn who lives near Boston with her husband and son. I never understood what all the hoopla was about being a grandparent - now I do! I am the poster child for the obnoxious old lady with photos in hand!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Technology after 60


Ed has always been curious about new gadgets. He HAS to have a "toy" of some sort to play with at Christmas. I, on the other hand, have always been satisfied with the status quo. I am fearful of changes and if it were not for pressure from within this house, (and the unavailability of replacement ribbons), I would still be banging away on my old typewriter.

Over the past few years, Ed has given me two large "day planner" books. (do you think he is trying to "TELL" me something?) Maybeeeee! I admit the first one really was a lifesaver during the planning of Dawn's wedding. Everything -and I mean everything was written in that book. Phone numbers, dates, confirmation numbers and receipts were all there. So the day I drove off from work with the thing planted on my car's roof, became quite traumatic. Thank goodness I had detoured into the nearby Walmart parking lot and when it fell off, a passing motorist started blowing her car horn and flashing her lights! I thought she was a total nut case or perhaps a mass murderer with a unique approach of obtaining victims. Then I found out WHY she had flagged me down and I was ready to nominate her for sainthood!

Anyway, the large day planners were pretty much replaced by a "Palm Pilot". I do like the palm. Much smaller and avoids the nutty professor look with the old lady toting a large black binder.

Then I added a cell phone to the mix. Lots of technology to tote around to pretty much tell me I have no where to go!

Then they came out with the "Blackberry" type devices! "Egads!" says Ed - well, not really, I do not think he has ever actually said "Egads" - but you get the gist of his excitment.

I went to look at this new wonder and was put off by two things. First the price. they were about $400 and no way was I paying that for a cell phone with a $29 per month phone plan! Second was the teeny-weeny little keys! Have you SEEN these dinky little things. About the size of a zit! I looked at my chubby fingers and decided that this just would not work.

Then, just prior to Mother's Day, they put the phones on sale. Just $99 and I could be high-tech again. I began doing finger curls to reduce any resistance to punching the keys!

I looked on line and found a real beauty! Red and sparkly - YEAH! that is me in a package! I ordered it and began to plan for all the things we could do!

Our first task was to return to the sales store because the sims card they included would not work. The young man behind the desk suggested I might take it home and call the AT&T help line and I suggested he make the call as my butt was not leaving the chair until the phone worked! We sat there together for about an hour as he waited on the phone for someone to "help" him. We were both reassured several times that "Our call was important to AT&T -" but that fact did not speed up the process.

One bug in this whole problem, was that I was assured before the purchase and by the young man in the local store,that I did not have to upgrade my phone plan to operate this new phone. NO, I would not be able to access the internet or use the GPS system, but that was okay with me! They told me I could use the software on my computer to transfer my Palm data into my new toy. They lied!

Later when I spoke with yet another representative about my problems with the computer software - I was told that inorder for me to use the software I had to subscribe to the online service - an additional $50 per month. Nope- not going to happen! Do not need it - and not going to buy it!

So for two days, I sat and poked itty bitty buttons as I watched tv. I managed to load all my phone data, my calendar etc into this glitzy little red box. I sound so posh when I say -"Oops, excuse me - my Blackberry is about to ring". People think I am becoming psychic with the thing - but actually, the phone vibrates before it rings and makes my hips tingle before it actually rings! So I feel the call before I get it! (THIS MAY BE A FEATURE AT&T SHOULD PROMOTE MORE! -MAKES YOUR BUTT TINGLE!) Who else can claim that!

Who says I am not high-tech! Watch this mama go!

1 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

I hope you don't mind...I followed the link from a comment on Julie's blog(Noah's mom) i just wanted to say...Thank you. What you wrote was beautiful and something I think I have been waiting to hear from someone with a little more experience than I have :)
You are right, I know my child better than anyone else. I spend 24/7 with her, who would know her better? Thank you for your words. They have helped to inspire me some more when I needed a puch in the right direction.
Noel
mom to Lathan 13, Hunter 12, Hannah 9 and Abi 5 born with WS.

May 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home