My Photo
Name:
Location: Clarksville, TN, United States

At this moment, I am a 60 year old lady living with a 61 year old husband of 41 years. I have a loving son, Scott, who is mentally challenged (aka mentally retarded), and a beautiful daughter, Dawn who lives near Boston with her husband and son. I never understood what all the hoopla was about being a grandparent - now I do! I am the poster child for the obnoxious old lady with photos in hand!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fact or Faith?



It has been an exciting year! It all seems to have been about Sawyer! We like it that way!!

There has been our share of worry - the early delivery- the hernia surgery - the recent scare with his heart... but now the biggest heartache of all.

When Sawyer had his 1 year checkup, his doctor thought he heard a cardiac problem. So he referred him to a pediatric cardio person. We waited and prayed about that and then Sawyer was given a good report! (Thank you Lord!)

That doctor (the cardiologist), suggested they see a geneticist. Having been through this with Scott many years ago, I thought it would be fruitless and did not worry too much before the exam.

Now, the doctor feels Sawyer has Williams Syndrome. Not something the average person would know about. It is rare 1/7500 births. It has varying degrees of medical complications and 75% risk of m/r.

Our hearts are crushed - even though the blood has not yet been tested. Dawn and Greg have accepted all the signs the doctors have pointed out. It is fate accompli with them. I do not criticize them at all for this. They are still in shock and reacting the best they can. Between the tears and the acceptance sits the same little guy that we have loved for almost 14 months.

I have alternated between tears, prayer and anger at the doctor that brought this to our doorstep. Why could he have not waited until he knew for sure to put a name on Sawyer's problem? Was he so wrapped up in his conviction that he never doubts himself? Did he forget that this is not Williams Syndrome Child #1 - this is Sawyer Matthew Low - and as I look at his pictures - I forget about labels and diagnosis - I see love and brightness and my Sawyer and I love him. None of us have guarantees of what our children will become. We can offer them the best and brightest education and they can turn their backs on it to become tatoo artists. Would I love him less? Absolutely not!

If you think I sound as though I do not entirely accept this edict from the big docs in Boston - well maybe you are right. I am still praying that God will make this right. That Dawn's heart can heal and the smile that this little guy puts on our faces comes without shadows. I cry for my fractured dreams, but I ache for my baby's loss as well. (Dawn).

Life is not always fair - but does it have to hurt so much? Please pray for this family - especially Sawyer! Lift him up to be strengthened and spared the darkness of this syndrome. Be patient with us - we may have to adapt our plans a little but we plan to continue to love this little guy and are so thankful he is part of our family! (PRAY HARD!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Thank you so much for posting. I have a daughter, Payton (4ws) and I have often wondered how my mother feels thru everything. Not only does she cry for her grandchild, but she watches her own child go thru times of grieving as well. It's nice to read your words and get a glimpse of what my mother must sometimes feel. Sawyer has a wonderful family that loves him -

May 1, 2008 at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home