My Photo
Name:
Location: Clarksville, TN, United States

At this moment, I am a 60 year old lady living with a 61 year old husband of 41 years. I have a loving son, Scott, who is mentally challenged (aka mentally retarded), and a beautiful daughter, Dawn who lives near Boston with her husband and son. I never understood what all the hoopla was about being a grandparent - now I do! I am the poster child for the obnoxious old lady with photos in hand!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Snow should not fall in the South

I was raised in "snow country". Cleveland Ohio! When people whine about their snow - telling them I spent 19 winters in Cleveland usually shuts them up. Ah yes! "Lake effect snow". It snowed there from early October through April. Auch - the Easter Sundays I feuded with my mother over having to wear "galoshes" (rubber snow boots to you guys under 50 years of age!)
It really took the glow off your new fancy Easter outfit to top it off with clumsey big rubber snow boots ...(usually black or red for children).

Anyway, with the influx of people in our local community from Northern climates, I hear a lot about "How I wish we had a REAL snow" --- "I miss my snow". To this refrain I say -MOVE BACK TO THE FROZEN TUNDRA YOU BLOCKHEAD! THIS IS THE SOUTH!

This is the South. We drink "sweet tea", eat grits - not me personally- but they are immensely popular here, and swelter in the summer heat and humidity. We suffer through the heat and humidity of July and August for the priviledge of being in the South where we are not supposed to have SNOW and ICE! It is a trade-off and someone is reneging on their part of the deal. I remember the misery of 106 degrees in August - the sizzling leather seats in my car that required a towel to be able to sit without blisters. For that I was to be paid with a mild winter... not to include an icy driveway and icicles hanging from my clog-free gutters.

Today, my husband had to take detours to get to work and avoid mess where the ice had magically transformed our major road (41A) into a parking lot. I received a call at 7 AM from him saying - stay in the house - do not go out until I give you the all clear. These roads are a skating rink! Is he nuts? I would not walk to the mailbox if I suspect ice. Many of my bodily parts are failing- several are aching and I am not - NOT going to voluntarily put what remains intact in jeopardy of being mauled by an icy driveway.

However, I have a $5 coupon from Walgreens that is only good today and I have several things I wanted to pickup... life is throwing me a curve here. After all , it is a $5 coupon not one of those puny 25¢ coupons.

Another scary thing - we have good neighbors. Quiet, elderly ... good people. They seldom come out of their houses. Hermit-like. A scary thing happened this AM. I had the local news on the CBS morning show and all of a sudden - I see something familiar. Our back yard. It seems "Mr. Never Gets Outside" has a digital camera and had taken pictures of the accumilating snow and emailed it in to the tv channel. Innocent stuff however, Glad I was not out there hauling garbage to the can or something. I did not know he knew how to connect the camera to the computer. Beware of quiet neighbors!

So I will slow down, have another cup of coffee, start a load of laundry and write out some bills. All the while keeping an eye on the weather outside. Watching those icicles for signs of warming up.

Just to let the seasonal planners know, I expect a discount on my hot weather this year in August to make up for the day I had to endure less than "southern" weather in February. It's only fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home