My Photo
Name:
Location: Clarksville, TN, United States

At this moment, I am a 60 year old lady living with a 61 year old husband of 41 years. I have a loving son, Scott, who is mentally challenged (aka mentally retarded), and a beautiful daughter, Dawn who lives near Boston with her husband and son. I never understood what all the hoopla was about being a grandparent - now I do! I am the poster child for the obnoxious old lady with photos in hand!

Monday, February 11, 2008

365 DAYS OF LOVE!


Tomorrow is a big day - Sawyer - our grandson - will be one year old! I am sure he will not know the difference. Infact, he may be annoyed that his routine is interrupted by extra pictures and people singing off key to him. He is becoming quite the critic about things musical. In one recent video, he even gave his Dad a raspberry for singing chords near him. For some reason he does not like "chord" singing. What he does like is to "plunk" on a piano and make his own music. Both his parents are musically gifted so maybe he will be interested in music as well.

Sawyer's interests grow each day. He has come a long way since that cold, snowy night in Providence RI, when he entered this world. Words cannot describe the feeling you have when you hold your first grandchild. I can remember my mother holding my son, Scott when he was in the NICU. A frail lady, herself, she physically shook as she held him in a rocking chair. Tears rolled down her face as she told me to take him before she dropped him. She was more demonstrative with Scott than she ever was with me. She never passed a chance to gently touch his head or fingers.

I held Sawyer for the first time just minutes before I had to run to catch a plane at the airport. I had delayed my departure four days so I could be with Dawn when Sawyer was born. Because he was in the NICU, visiting was limited. Seeing your child with their first child is an experience you cannot duplicate.

When Ed met me at the airport in Nashville, I told him I had pictures! Pictures of Sawyer! Just 2 days old and oh! so beautiful. We sat in the car in the parking garage as he flipped through the pictures on the digital camera. We could not wait to get home to print them.

We got daily updates from Dawn and Greg. Dawn was doing well but had to leave the hospital without Sawyer. He had good days and a few scary ones. We prayed - oh how we prayed - and day by day Sawyer grew! The obstacles fell to the wayside and he became Sawyer!

He is a heart-melter that young man! Blue eyes that can melt your soul! And a devilish grin that makes you know his parents are in for some fun times ahead.

I have had many blessing in my 60+ years. But Lord, this one was a real doozy! Thank you for Sawyer. This is a scary world we live in today and I pray each day to keep my babies safe - Scott and Dawn and now this little one year old sweetheart- Grandpa's "Little Buddy"- Sawyer.

Happy Birthday Sawyer We do love you so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home