My Photo
Name:
Location: Clarksville, TN, United States

At this moment, I am a 60 year old lady living with a 61 year old husband of 41 years. I have a loving son, Scott, who is mentally challenged (aka mentally retarded), and a beautiful daughter, Dawn who lives near Boston with her husband and son. I never understood what all the hoopla was about being a grandparent - now I do! I am the poster child for the obnoxious old lady with photos in hand!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bittersweet day

Tomorrow will be a bittersweet day ... one I have looked forward to, yet now that the time has come, I am not so anxious to see it arrive.



I am leaving the ARC Thrift Store. Counting the several "Super Sales" that preceeded the actual opening of the thrift store in 1996, I have been begging for cast-offs and organizing used socks for 20 years! TWENTY YEARS!!

Several things went into my decision to call it quits - I am old - older some days than others - my "parts" give me pain after a day of hauling bags to the trash or dragging boxes into the closets.

Even in a down economy - our bottom line often turns "pink" - not quite red ink, but darned close some months. The stress of worrying over bills paid or not - gifts given or postponed - has had me up many a sleepless night.

So I decided to turn the day to day operation over to someone else. I must say it is sort of like taking your child to college! How will they be treated? Will they value my baby? Will Mr. Roosevelt and Ms Barbara get their hugs when they come in and will they remember to save flowers for Becky or hat pins for Steve?

Who will listen to Ms Betty's lab results and encourage her to continue chemo? Who will call Ms Pat to check on her shingles? Who will take Barbara out to eat for Christmas?

Who will bouy my spirits when Sawyer has a bad day? Or when I am missing Dawn? Who will I share my pictures of the two cutest grandchildren in the world with after I leave?

When Scott had his heart surgery and when we learned of Sawyer's Williams Syndrome - it was our customers who held my hand and gave me the courage to face the next obstacle. They prayed with me, cried with me and had far more faith in my ability to survive another heartbreak than I did.

I guess I will miss my friends - my safe zone. To any and all who may see this - Thank you ARC Thrift Store - you will be missed by me but not forgotten - and to those who remain - you had best do a good job - be kind to my buddies - and as Ms Katie told me many years ago -NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP! " I love you all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home