My Photo
Name:
Location: Clarksville, TN, United States

At this moment, I am a 60 year old lady living with a 61 year old husband of 41 years. I have a loving son, Scott, who is mentally challenged (aka mentally retarded), and a beautiful daughter, Dawn who lives near Boston with her husband and son. I never understood what all the hoopla was about being a grandparent - now I do! I am the poster child for the obnoxious old lady with photos in hand!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

HAPPY 41ST BIRTHDAY SCOTT!











There are some things that never change - the sun will rise in the East - and my son will want "Batman" for his birthday. I must make a mental note to do something different next year - I am tired of Batman!






I tried to change this year- I tried for weeks to think of a new venue - but Clarksville is limited in the places you can take a group out for lunch - let alone fine a fun day. Some one suggested "Chucky Cheese"! Not only did I cry "NO!" --- I believe it was "Hell NO!" (sorry)






I did the Chucky Cheese thing when my kids were young. We did not have one close to our home so we would drive 1- 1 1/2 hours to Concord Calif to the nearest Chuckie Cheese. At least they had the animated shows - which were kind of cool in a restaurant that served greasy pizza and luke warm soda. The best part was when my friend's son, John, who was about 7 years old and had Downs Syndrome, climbed into the tunnel and froze about half way. A line of kids were stuck behind him - and they began to wail! So "Daddy" John had to climb into the tunnel, where he pleaded, bribed, pulled and pushed to get his son to move on. Young John was having none of it - His mom, Joyce, (who was British) stood at the opening and would say in her clipped British accent - "John, come out now - what seems to be the problem?" "Daddy" John, who was now sweating and embarrassed and tired of the whole experience, bellowed back: "Your son won't move! - THAT"s the problem!!" Of course we had boo-hooing kids behind John who wanted out and because I was a casual observer - and my children were not actually contributing to this mess- I found it extremely funny! We did "uncork" John eventually,(both of them), and left shortly after that. At one point he told his mom - "Just one more trip down the tunnel"! "NO!" shouted both parents and we made a hasty retreat out the door.






Scott has had 3 birthday parties at Cici's Pizza Restaurant here in Clarksville. We invite a few of his friends and their staff to join us! They get salad and pizza and all the beverages they can muster. They sing "Happy Birthday " and Scott is in heaven. Lately, he thinks if he can get lunch at Cici's, he gets to have a birthday party. I finally had to tell his PA to avoid Cici's for a while until he gets over the Birthday thing. Unfortunately, he will "move on" to Christmas. I think the best part of Cici's is their staff. We are seated anywhere we want to sit. That may not seem special to those who have never approached a restaurant at noon - with a bevy of wheelchairs, crutches and folks with a variety of disabilites. We sat in the middle of a room of average folks and the staff at Cici's were great! They never rolled their eyes or acted upset at dropped food or loud voices! In fact, they joined in for the singing of Happy Birthday and encouraged the other "eaters" to do so too! Now, THAT is "inclusion" in its purest form!
One of Scott's greatest thrills for his birthday is the arrival of special guests! We made the invitations on Shutterfly and sent them out. I asked "who" he wanted to invite and his first answer was "Carol". Carol was his helper when he was in the workshop. They were buddies for several years. She quit her job for another better paying one but has always stayed in touch with Scott. When Scott had his open heart surgery, she came to Nashville and sat with our family in the waiting room. She was one of the first people to see him in the CCU. He loves Carol.
I was not sure if Carol could come this year. She works for Metalpha (Bridgestone), and I was not sure her schedule would allow it. She switched schedules and pulled an over night shift so she could be there. Bless her heart, she was so tired and yet she came. When Scott saw her walking across the parking lot into the restaurant, he literally lit up from inside. When she did get in, he stood up and ran to her - saying "Carol! Carol!" It was hugs all around.
I am glad his current PA has a big heart and understands that Scott does not love Carol more than he loves her. It is just that when he "loves", he loves with all his heart. Sometimes, it is as if his body is not big enough to hold all the love he has for persons who have garnered a special place in his life.
As the parent of a special child, it refreshes my soul to see special people like Patrice (Scott's current PA), and Carol, who work in a field that is grossly underpaid and get little respect for the hard work they assume when they work with individuals with intellectual disabilities (M/R). When you have a child who may not be able to tell you if something bad happened to them, or if a staff person may be less than kind, it really restores your faith in mankind to find a Carol or Patrice in your world.
So Scott had another great birthday! He got to eat Pizza, (Macaroni & Cheese Pizza at that!), cokes and birthday cake! He received many great gifts and saw lots of his family and friends.
41 years ago, Scott came into my world in a scary, unexpected way. He was not due until Oct 15th. I was young, inexperienced and alone at the time. (Ed was on deployment and was sitting at Midway Island when Scott was born.) A tiny 3 lb 2 1/2 oz little guy who fought hard to stay with us and I am so thankful he did.
Happy Birthday Scott - I do love you - everyday - but especially today!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home